Sunday, June 5, 2016

The Soldier's Bride/Rachelle J. Christensen

Synopsis:

    "As WWII ration cards and battle scars become commonplace across America, it seems to Evelyn that even love is rationed out. When she finds a message from her late husband tucked inside a music box, Jim’s words have the power to change her life: Don't die with me.
    Words written out of love, long-lost but never forgotten.
    Grief stricken, Evelyn is unsure of how to honor his request, but she finds the courage to keep on living. Jim’s note urges her to give the music box away to unlock the secret within, and although it breaks her heart again, Evelyn trades the music box for a cradle to hold her infant son. Thus begins the decades-long journey of the music box, mending broken hearts, reuniting lost loves, and giving people the courage to heal themselves along the way.
    This romance crosses battlefields and time as the music box touches the lives of two soldiers, a broken father, a crippled child, a struggling farmer, and a woman once called the soldier's bride."

Review:

    I don't know what to really say about this book......I liked it, but didn't love it. I am not a fan of love triangles, so that was a mark off. I don't enjoy having many points of view and trying to keep up with who's talking and where they were left off. She did space them out and had the chapter marked with the name of who the chapter was focusing on.
    I did love the music box and how it meant something to each person that it was in the hands of. Especially the little messages they left with it before it passed off to the next. This book spanned, I would say about 27 years, most of it in the first few years.
    This book took me through most emotions you could think of. One of my favorite parts was the appearance of the gravestone. Can you guess who's side I was on??!! The story was well thought out and written. Just because I am not a fan of some of the details of the book, doesn't mean I had to hate it. I liked it! I was rooting for the happiness of all, and the joy those received from one little music box, that was made with love right from the start.
    I was given this book for an honest review. I have read other books from Rachelle and plan to continue with many more!

No comments:

Post a Comment